Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia built by a non-profit anonymous and is administered by the foundation Wikimedia.
The 37 million chapters in 284 languages that Wikipedia contains and are written by several volunteers and these can be edited by any user you want, as long as you know what are the tasks that has to be obeyed. Wikipedia was developed by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger.
This platform was presented on January 15, 2011 and today is among the 10 most popular websites worldwide. This website has more than 17 million users and 20 million articles in 284 languages including English, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian, among many more.
These languages have been written by volunteers from all over the world and anyone with access to the project can edit them without any problem.
Create a Wikipedia account
You must be thinking how to get a Wikipedia profile. In order to create your own profile, you must be aware of a few things:
- If you are one of the users that wants to create their own Wikipedia account but does not know how to do it, it is important that you go first to the official Wikipedia page.
- When you are logged into Wikipedia, click on the Create an account link. You will find this link located in the upper right part of the page.
On the next page you will find a registration form, here you will see all the fields to complete that Wikipedia requests for the creation of a personal account. The first thing you have to do is complete the CAPTCHA, then you must put in the consecutive fields the username for your account, a password an email address.
It is important to note that when placing the username for the creation of your account, they should not contain brusque, promotional, defamatory or confusing words, it must be as indicated on the Wikipedia page.
In case you want to keep your current browser connected up to 180 days, that is, without needing to be placing your username and password every time you want to enter Wikipedia, you can do so by simply activating the box that is before the Create an account button. Continue clicking on the Create an account button.
Next, Wikipedia will indicate the time and will send you a confirmation code to your email address. This character is important to activate any function based on maps sent in the wiki. According to Wikipedia on the page, you will have to enter your email and click the link in the message.
Login to your email
In this step it is important to go to your inbox, open the message sent from Wikipedia and click on the Confirmation link. Do not forget to check the spam tray, it is likely that you get mail in Spam section but not in Inbox.
Finally, it should be noted that the confirmation code will only be valid for a few days. Within the received message you can observe the expiration date. It’s that simple to create your own Wikipedia account, one of the most popular pages all across the world.
Things to avoid
In addition to all these tools, Wikipedia advises its entire community, when making the respective modifications or compositions:
- Being a non-profit and extensive organization, there is a diversity of ideas and thoughts so you must be tolerant, peaceful and avoid insults. This is a place to work in community and the idea is to fit into the teams.
- Do not copy images or texts that are copyrighted.
- The use of signature in articles, reviews, comments, votes and pages of other users is totally prohibited.
- Do not use the terms “Currently” and “Now” since it is information provided in the short and long term.
- Avoid using comparisons and exaggerations, as they may change over time.
- When you put a figure, do it by quoting the date in parentheses.
- Do not delete any information or data, after publishing the article, if you have not made sure.
It is normal to make mistakes and it is allowed to correct them in time. Try to do edit and modify when it’s spelling or verifiable mistakes otherwise, it is considered in a negativity to ignore and deny updating your content.